This morning Nichole and I had just got to school when we hear one of our students com
e in the door. Now, this student is not one of the most quiet students, and he usually makes it known when he enters a building. Today was no exception. Not 5 minutes after we had walked in the door, this is what we hear "WHERE'S MY BREAKFAST AT???" Usually Debbie, the other parapro, goes down and gets breakfast for two of our students. Somedays she has breakfast sitting on their desks when they walk in the door, and other days they have to wait a few minutes. Either way, he was not happy that his pop tarts were not there. And boy oh boy did Nichole and I have to hear about it.
While we all love this student, he is not always the easiest student to deal with. He's like a ticking time bomb, threatening to blow at any given second. One minute he's good to go, the next he's yelling at us/anyone who will listen. For example, yesterday when we were walking to the gym this student was being kind of loud. Typically this would not be a big deal, but classes were already in session so he needed to be quiet. Well, Debbie calmly and quietly asked him to lower his voice level. His response, "I will NOT lower my voice. I will raise, raise, raise my voice level!" Hm, I guess that was a lost cause.
Ok, back to the pop tarts. Nichole told him that his breakfast was on its way and it would be there soon. Not good enough apparantly. He was NOT happy. So I walked to the doorway, where he is standing with his fingers in his ears (to block me out I'm assuming), to tell him it would be right here. After much stomping, yelling, and no breakfast he finally came into the classroom to sit down. THis is where he proceeded to sit there with his fingers in his ears repeating how hungry he was and that he was starving. Poor kid, like he could not wait just a couple minutes!
Thankfully, shortly after he sat down, his breakfast arrived! Whew. Sometimes its hard to remember that its not their fault, its just the autism speaking. However, I will say that there is never a dull moment. You've all heard that a lot by now, right?
Oh, before I forget, Mark wanted me to add that I'm very crabby tonight. It's not like I've been up since about 5:30 AM, went to work and had school till almost 10 PM tonight or anything! I think I have a right to be crabby! So there :) Until next time.
Always, Jessica
While we all love this student, he is not always the easiest student to deal with. He's like a ticking time bomb, threatening to blow at any given second. One minute he's good to go, the next he's yelling at us/anyone who will listen. For example, yesterday when we were walking to the gym this student was being kind of loud. Typically this would not be a big deal, but classes were already in session so he needed to be quiet. Well, Debbie calmly and quietly asked him to lower his voice level. His response, "I will NOT lower my voice. I will raise, raise, raise my voice level!" Hm, I guess that was a lost cause.
Ok, back to the pop tarts. Nichole told him that his breakfast was on its way and it would be there soon. Not good enough apparantly. He was NOT happy. So I walked to the doorway, where he is standing with his fingers in his ears (to block me out I'm assuming), to tell him it would be right here. After much stomping, yelling, and no breakfast he finally came into the classroom to sit down. THis is where he proceeded to sit there with his fingers in his ears repeating how hungry he was and that he was starving. Poor kid, like he could not wait just a couple minutes!
Thankfully, shortly after he sat down, his breakfast arrived! Whew. Sometimes its hard to remember that its not their fault, its just the autism speaking. However, I will say that there is never a dull moment. You've all heard that a lot by now, right?
Oh, before I forget, Mark wanted me to add that I'm very crabby tonight. It's not like I've been up since about 5:30 AM, went to work and had school till almost 10 PM tonight or anything! I think I have a right to be crabby! So there :) Until next time.
Always, Jessica
No comments:
Post a Comment