Thursday, January 12, 2012

Miracles and Grace

Many of you may or may not remember when Mark was in the hospital almost 2 years ago to the day. I remember it like it was yesterday, but I don't think about it that often. This morning, however, I was blind-sided with the reality of the prognosis of what Mark had and how differently our lives would look today if his outcome would have been anything short of a miracle from God.

You see, last night Andrea was telling Mark about a girl she works with, who is a therapist and that one of her good friends was diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis. Her friend did not have as good of an outcome as what Mark had. She is 26 years old and is now a quadriplegic from the same exact condition that Mark was in the hospital for.

When Mark told me that this morning it took me aback. I guess I never even thought that Mark wouldn't make a full recovery. And to hear that someone just like him, who had the same condition, and whose life is now completely changed, shook me.

I don't know how or why God works in the way that He does. All I know is that it floors me that He has chosen to save myself and mark from our sins and given us eternal life with Him, and on top of that, has chosen to give Mark his health as well. He has chosen to love us when we don't always love Him back, He continues to bless us, when we're not that thankful, He gives and all we do is take.

All I can think of today is how sinful and wicked we are at our core, yet we're loved by a God who died on the cross for us, and took those sins upon himself, and we're not even worthy to be in his presence. He created us, and He can destroy us at any moment. Yet, in our sorrow and our crying out to Him, He continually meets us.

Do I think that Mark had great doctor's? Yes, I do. Are they a part of why Mark is healthy and walking today? Yes, they are. But are they who ultimately saved Mark, gave him the use of his arms and legs back, and allowed him to walk out of that hospital? NO absolutely not. I believe the only reason Mark has made a complete recovery is by God's grace, and love, and mercy. Did he deserve those things? No, but it is for those reasons, that I will continue to cry out and love and serve a powerful and mighty God. Because ultimately, He is in control. He is who we trust, and He alone is worthy of our praise.

I don't know what God has in store for our lives, but I am for certain that He does not promise us a life of leisure, comfort and joy. In this life we will struggle, and that is a fact. But calling out to God, in the name of Jesus, in the good times and the bad times, is the only way that I know that Mark and I will make it through. So, today I am giving thanks for the miracle that God gave us 2 years ago when Mark walked out of that hospital, but I am also going to be praying for those who haven't received as good of news. And in those prayers I am asking that God will meet us there and help all of us who are in those dark and deep places. Because God can and will be glorified in any and all situations. 

~The Hiegels

No comments: